BUILD YOUR OWN
AUSTRALIA'S ONLY ORIGINAL HOVERCRAFT PLANS
Blast into the future on a cushion of air with the exciting TURBO 235 SUPERWEDGE.
The SUPERWEDGE is a fully amphibious hovercraft capable of carrying 3 adults across surfaces such as hard ground, sand, marsh, snow or water. Experience the exhilaration of skimming from land to water, gliding sideways or spinning through 360 degrees - a new dimension in freedom.
This versatility and manoeuvrability means the SUPERWEDGE is the ultimate recreational vehicle.
The SUPERWEDGE has been designed and engineered as plans, enabling you to build this small hovercraft with only basic carpentry / engineering skills and simple workshop facilities.
This is achieved in two ways: Firstly, by the use of economical, convenient plywood as a base material, which is then upgraded with high-tech epoxies and composites. Secondly, by the provision of a very detailed Construction and Assembly Manual which takes the builder step-by-step through the stages of building, and fitting-out of the craft.
The SUPERWEDGE is a project craft, and should take the enthusiastic builder a couple of months to complete, at a fraction of the cost of a ready-built machine.
* Strong, lightweight, monocoque hull constructed from Epoxy plywood composite with optional Kevlar reinforcement
* Ducted, multi-bladed, axial fan providing integrated lift and thrust for quieter running, simplicity and greater reliability
* All mechanical assemblies combined to form a single power module, fully isolated on vibration mounts
* Individually pressurized, extended segment skirt for super smooth ride, lower maintenance and longer life
* A driving position that affords excellent vision and control, and allows for simple craft trim
* Sophisticated engine air filter induction system for improved engine reliability and durability
* Engine cover for noise absorption and engine bay cleanliness
* Stowage compartment for craft equipment & spares
* Easily trailerable, and rapid deployment capability from a winch on/off trailer design
Length 3.52 m
Width 1.98 m
Height 1.22 m
Weight (unladen) 180 kg
Bouyancy 400kg plus
Payload (max) 235 kg
Hoverheight 230 mm
Speed (max - ideal conditions) 100 kph
Speed (cruise - ideal conditions) 50 kph
Hull -Monocoque, Epoxy plywood composite
Skirt -Extended segment, neoprene/nylon
Engine -Optional (advise & assistance available)
Fuel - Dependant on engine type used
PHOTOS OF VARIOUS STAGES OF CONSTRUCTION
OF 235 SUPERWEDGE HOVERCRAFT
(Photos supplied courtesy of Steven McConnell)
Construction of cockpit & Layout of hull pieces
Construction of hull and cockpit from Marine Plywood
View of underside of hull showing air holes and hull protection skids
View of finished air chamber prior to fitting of top deck
Close-up of engine bay showing battery compartment
Attachment of top deck
Front view showing fitting of duct supplied by Turbo Hovercraft
Steve and his finished 235 Superwedge Hovercraft & Trailer